Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Old forgotten hobbies

Let me take you to my childhood. Like many children I had a weird hobby of letter collecting. Yes its weird. In those days emails were not popular and so was the telephone. People used to communicate via letters. The TV shows asked us to post the suggestions on letters. It was that time when "Superhit Muqabla" was a famous hit music show aired on Doordarshan. I used to see anchors reading out 2-3 letters from a heap of thousands.

Quiet surprisingly I took the idea of collecting letters that were delivered to our home. Every letter starting from invitation cards to personal letters I would keep them with me after they have been read. I specially liked if someone used the writing pad. The beautiful decorative pages amused me.

Then I started collecting local train tickets. Another funny thing. I had a purse and used to keep all the  tickets there.

I even collected marriage invitation cards as I said before. And it came to use when my elder brother was getting married. The writings and designs helped us to choose an appropriate card.

And then at the marriage ceremonies I used to collect the menu cards.

I even got a piggy bank and used to collect 1p, 2p coins which are now obsolete.

Life goes on and I grew up. And ultimately all the foolish habbits took a backstage. As I remember them I find my childhood to be so simple and funny as there was no particular reason as to why I had them.

2 comments:

  1. Those are some exquisite collections. I remember I once started collecting 'bills' from restaurants :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D that defines a wonderful childhood

    ReplyDelete

The online saree war

After a whole decade or more, we have finally got a year that is unique and unprecedented. The last one might have been when India got its I...