Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Intellectual me?

For the past few days I am trying hard to be somewhat intellectual, absorbing everything that came my way. As a somewhat book worm I am constantly scanning Amazon site for all the new book releases and then doing the same at Crossword or Starmark. With almost a lot of books in my 'to-be-read' list I am trying to absorb the character and words written as I find it pleasurable than my boring office work. With my office eating up almost 70% of my day's time I somehow try to fit in everything in the remaining 30% but being sleep deprived and having a lot of headache due to it I can hardly succeed. Hence my kindle is my companion in the early morning when I travel to office and the book if interesting enough will take me to an utopia from where I had to reluctantly return as soon as the bus arrives at the office gate.

Recently India is united with only one discussion and that is Modi and Demonetization. Nevertheless I get around 500 whatsapp msgs everyday where people are debating in the group and also my office cubicle is not exempted. I try to participate but due to lack of political knowledge I am more of a listener. However I feel myself to be somewhat intellectual if I do happen to say something in bits and pieces and is approved by others. I ruffle the newspaper or twitter, the next day only to add few more points to the same topic.

Now what defines intellectuality? Someone who is knowledgeable, confident, witty or someone who considers himself " i-know-it-all"? Mostly I get the second type of persons across the world. And people nowadays are confident enough to state that whatever he/she thinks is only correct, others are all fools. Facebook is flooding with wall posts of people proving this. I am amazed at common people who have voice to support or revolt against demonetization but can do very little about it. Love or hate Modi , he has made u stand in front of ATMs and Banks. The rule is a rule and u have to follow. So why all these things then? Yes, yes the famous "freedom of speech". My eyes sometimes roll up and down when I see posts like "God please impart some wisdom to these fools who consider demonetization as a boon." I wonder if God is confused about whom to impart this wisdom. No I am not supporting/ promoting or going against the govt , I am just amazed at the way it was stated.

I have a friend who has opinion about everything -- I mean everything. And if I happen to speak one or 2 things he is the first to point out , hey u r wrong which makes me feel like "Grrrr....who the hell are u to say this?"
I am generally attracted to people who have broader outlook and a lot of knowledge. It increases my knowledge manifold. But alas I mostly get Mr/Ms "Know-it-all" . Hence I my recent endeavour is to become someone whom I really like. That is to gather as much knowledge my little brain can hold and speak with utmost data points to counter debates and impress or somewhat enrage people. But as it takes a lot to succeed , I always end up saying something stupid and confronted by others. Blimey!

2 comments:

  1. Being an intellectual is a tough job, you know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, great people and great and bold moves, anything out the way, always invites criticism or hot discussions - specially among those who don't have much constructive work to keep them engaged.

    ReplyDelete

The online saree war

After a whole decade or more, we have finally got a year that is unique and unprecedented. The last one might have been when India got its I...