Saturday, May 14, 2011

How safe is our Social Networking Sites

I was in my 1st year at college when I first heard of Social Networking sites. I never knew what was Social networking sites meant. I found it extremely interesting and was addicted to it like anything. I communicated with lots of my school friends and even those with whom I have never talked while at school.They gave me many good friends. So I immensely thank them for that.

But what to do if that little bliss is used as a curse? They are made to bring people closer. To enhance friendship , to make the world smaller. But what when someone misuses these things? Somebody hacked my account when I was in my 3rd year. I didnt know who and y? I restored it to normal though. Many of my friends got their fake profiles with their names on it. A few years later somebody used the pic of my best friend in a fake profile. Despite of repeatedly reporting  it resulted nil. I was going through the various help forums . I found many such similar cases with even more dangerous outcomes. Somebody used a girl's picture in a fake profile and has abused her,tried to do cyber crimes . Not only girls even boys were not spared. I guess  search engines are also full up with these type of questions. And they too were turned down .

I know it is not the fault of the internet nor the Social networking sites. It is the fault of the people who misuses the whole purpose of Social networking and thus abuses people.But there should be some corrective measures for that. Isnt it? If the big IT companies are responsible for their success y do they not take responsibility when somebody misuses? Is there nothing by which we can be helped? How many reports and how many complaints do they need to prove the truth of the innocent?Why is that the security is being questioned everytime? Why is that people are forced to take extreme steps? Why is that nowadays people refrain from Social Networking? 
I wish I could have got the answer and all the people who face these type of problems could have got their remedies..

2 comments:

  1. Hi
    Quickly glanced at your blog, liked your basic profile mainly since we flal in same category of engineer and non-writer but express thoughts and experience in our blogs.
    This post touched me too. Keep in touch.I write my mind on sushmaspage on blogspot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice expression of thought on this particular section ... i liked it :-) keep writing

    ReplyDelete

The online saree war

After a whole decade or more, we have finally got a year that is unique and unprecedented. The last one might have been when India got its I...